Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Onus Is On Us

HCOM 300L, CSUMB’s complementary lab for its major orientation class, is designed for the technological education of Human Communication students. The production of movies, websites and other utilities in the information age is the emphasis; using a hands-on approach, students learn to apply the tools presented in the class in the pursuit of social justice.

What does this mean for me? I will be taking advantage of the resources provided to increase my ability to critically think about the world around me. Those who know me know that I am not one to sit quietly, stewing in my disbelief of the ignorance, disrespect and selfishness of an increasingly large amount of today’s population. I am an avid disapprover of the adage, “it is better to remain silent and thought an idiot than speak and remove all doubt.” Yes, we should be as informed as possible, but if we do not speak erroneously, we cannot be corrected by those with greater knowledge. In an era rife with online media, social networking and peer-to-peer exchange, it is our responsibility to take advantage of the closeness of humanity and use these advances to encourage intellectual growth within the global village.

Whose onus is it? It must be on us.

No comments:

Post a Comment